The Export business in Sri Lanka has indeed came along a long way since the past few decades. The Sri Lanka government has taken in several steps and initiated certain boundary line over goods, products and wages that can be exported from Sri Lanka. The government authorities have even set out number of restrictions and limitations over various products that cannot be exported from the country which is highly obeyed and followed by all legal exporter in Sri Lanka.
My article for today will provide a small idea about the Export Business in Sri Lanka for my fellow investor friends and related business minds who have been planning to enter the business world of Sri Lanka as an importer or exporter.
It is always important to know what it actually takes for any personnel to REGISTER AS AN EXPORTER in Sri Lanka. Foreign investors or business owners who intend to take part among the Export business in Sri Lanka by exporting any sort of commercially valued article from Sri Lanka has to be registered from the following institutions as mentioned below.
- EDB Registration Number — Sri Lanka Export Development Board
- Identification No. (TIN Number/VAT Number) – Inland Revenue Department – Tax
- Sri Lanka customs
Now, to get registered with these following institutions mentioned above the exporters first have become legal business owners by registering his own business in Sri Lanka by acquiring Business Registration Certificate or Certificate of Incorporation from the Registrar of Companies in Sri Lanka along with related documents and application forms.
GOODS & PRODUCTS THAT REQUIRE REGISTRATION/LICENSE/CERTIFICATES FROM AUTHORITIES FOR EXPORT PURPOSES:
- Gems, Diamonds and Jewelries
- Food and Beverage – Any meat product, Beer, Alcohol Beverages, Non-Alcoholic Beverages (Bottled Drinking Water/ Mineral Water), Cashew Kernels.
- Spices & Allied Products – All sort of Spices and Masalas, Cinnamons
- Ayurveda and Herbal Products: Herbal Finished Product, Herbal Plants, Herbal Cosmetics
- Coconut and Coconut Based Products
- Fruits and Vegetables
- Minerals and Salts
- Wooden Products: Sawn timber & Wood including logs, Article of Wood (ebony), furniture, Wooden based toys.
- Fish and Fisheries Products
- Ornamental Fish
Now let us have a look on the ITEMS Under License Control for Export business in Sri Lanka:
These are following items or products that are subjected to export license issued by the Controller of import and exports in Sri Lanka.
Items — Recommending Authority
- Coral Chunks, conch shells Other than chunks — Department of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Development.
- Wood including logs & Sawn timber — Forest Department
- (Ebony) Article of Wood– Forest Department & National Crafts Council
- Ingots, granules, meal scraps, slag, dross, powders etc. – Commerce & Ministry of Industry
- Ivory Products — Department of wild life conservation
- Passenger Motor Vehicles first registered in Sri Lanka — Department of Motor Vehicles
ITEMS PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED FOR EXPORT BUSINESS IN SRI LANKA:
- Dead or live animals — Permits or approval are issued for various research purposes based in educational centers and laboratories and for exchange with foreign zoos and museums.
- Antiquities and Cultural Property
- Dangerous drugs
- Live Fish (Prohibited species)
- Minerals in raw form
- Obscene publication and literature
- Protected plants listed by Fauna & Flora Protection Ordinance
Types of certificate required for Export Business in Sri Lanka:
- Certificate of Origin (GSP Certificate): This certificate is required by the Customs of the importing country for the purchaser to obtain duty concessions under GSP.
- Certificate of Origin
- Quality Certificate: This certificate is issued by the Sri Lanka Standard Institution (SLSI). Private quality certificates for goods and products are issued by SGS Lanka Ltd.
- Health Certificate
- Phytosanitary Certificate
- Fumigation Certificate
Well, you don’t have to be worried about other related documents, paper works, permits and required approvals. Indeed, export business in Sri Lanka does come up with a number of legal terms. Good news for my investor friends is that me and my company S & F CONSULTING FIRM LIMITED are there 24/7 to help you out with all your queries and concerns about being a legal exporter in Sri Lanka. Our business advisory experts can provide you all necessary information and details about the types of permits approvals and certificates you would need for export business in Sri Lanka as per the nature of your business is concerned.